- Solicitor / Peddlers Permits
Solicitor / Peddlers Permits
The City of Melissa Code of Ordinances, Article 4 - Peddlers, Solicitors, and Handbill Distributors specifically addresses who is required to have a permit, when they can and cannot solicit, and states that they must carry the permit on them at all times. Under Section 4.609 it state's the following:
It shall be unlawful for any peddler, solicitor or handbill distributor to do business within the City of Melissa unless he or she carries a valid permit on him or her at all times. Every peddler, solicitor or handbill distributor shall display his or her permit upon request of any person and failure to so display such permit shall be grounds for revocation or constitute a violation of this article.
Safety Tips for Residents
View a few crime prevention tips to safeguard yourself and your home from unscrupulous door-to-door solicitors:
- Always ask solicitors for identification to verify what company they are working for. If they refuse, ask them to leave.
- Ask to see their license from the City of Melissa. If they do not have one, ask them to leave.
- Never invite a solicitor into your home. You can say "no thank you" without opening the door.
- Never give a solicitor your Social Security number.
- Avoid paying with a check or credit card. Cash is best - get a receipt.
- If an item seems too good or too inexpensive to be true, it probably is.
- Orders taken are required to be in writing, in duplicate (you get a copy) and to state the name of the solicitor as it appears on his/her license, the solicitor's permit number, the address of the solicitor and their employer, the terms of the agreement and the amount paid to the solicitor.
- If you encounter a solicitor who becomes aggressive or won't take "no" for an answer, ask them to leave, shut the door and call 911.
- You may post a "No Solicitor" sign on private property.
If you feel that the person who has come to your door is trying to sell or solicit anything under false pretenses, please immediately call Melissa Police Department at 972-838-2033 (Please note that this forwards automatically to Collin County Sheriff's Dispatch after hours). If the solicitor threatens, intimidates you, or refuses to leave, please dial 911 for immediate assistance.