Driving Safety Courses
Requirements to Take Driving Safety Course
If you received a ticket for a moving violation, you may request permission to take a Driving Safety Course (DSC) on or before the court date.
At the time of the request, you must do the following:
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest
- Present a valid Texas driver's license
- Present any proof of financial responsibility (auto insurance) listing you as a driver
- Fill out the Drivers Safety Course Affidavit (PDF) and have it notarized or your signature witnessed in person by the Court Clerk
- Upon approval, pay an administrative fee and state court costs to the City of Melissa of $144 or $169 if the offense occurred in a school zone. All costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
When you are not eligible to request a Driving Safety Course:
- You received a ticket for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit
- The offense occurred in a construction zone with workers present
- The office was for unlawfully passing a school bus
- The offense was for leaving the scene of an accident
- You have or held a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) at the time of the offense
- If you have taken a Driver Safety Course (DSC) within the 12 months before the date of this citation, or you are currently required to take a DSC for another citation.
What to Do Next
On or before the court date, submit the listed items to the court. Upon approval, the court will grant you permission to take the course.
Where You Can Take a Driving Safety Course
You may search for driving safety courses online. The course must be an approved course for the dismissal of a traffic citation in the State of Texas.
Failure to Complete a Driving Safety Course
If you fail to complete any one of the requirements by your due date, you will receive a notice ordering you to attend a Show Cause Hearing. If you fail to appear at the hearing, a conviction will be reported to the Department of Public Safety, and the remaining balance on your case will be due immediately. If payment is not made immediately, a capias pro fine warrant will be issued.