You should be aware of these common pollutants and how you can help to reduce them:
- Fertilizer - Should be applied at appropriate rates or consider organic fertilizers
- Hazardous Household Chemicals - The City of Melissa's Solid Waste Provider - CWD - offers a Door Side Collection program for safe, easy, and responsible disposal of approved hazardous waste and used electronics. This service is provided for City of Melissa residents up to once a month, and is included in your regular monthly trash and recycling charge.
- Herbicides and Pesticides - Use only when necessary and consider natural alternatives
- Pet Waste - Collect pet waste in parks and should consider yard cleaning
- Pool / Spa Water - Allow water to de-chlorinate for 3 days before discharging
- Sediment - Vegetate or mulch bare soil and protect dirt piles from washing away
- Trash / Litter - Should not leave outside where it can be moved by wind or water
- Vehicle Fluids - Should take precautions to not spill and dispose of properly.
- Yard Waste - Dispose of grass clippings and leaves or consider composting.